marquee

Bienvenidos

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mendoza

So it looks like this will be my second to last blog entry from Santiago Chile. I have only one more week left, two tests, before I travel down south to Punta Arenas between the 6th-19th of December, then just barely two days in Santiago and then off to Buenos Aires.

Last Thursday I had my final exam for Social History of Latin America, which went surprisingly well. I also turned in a final essay for my contemporary history of Chile class. All that is left is my two Economics tests this week and I am free. After class, I went to pickup some gifts for my host parents since it was my host-father's birthday and my host-mother is leaving for Switzerland for 3 months the day after I go to Punta Arenas. Along the way I realized that I had misplaced my ATM card (probably left it in a ATM machine earlier in the week, forgetting to respond 'NO' at the end of my transaction if I wanted to make another transaction or have the machine spit out the card). That was a slight damper for my Thanksgiving, but the disappointment didn't last long since I was leaving for Mendoza that afternoon to visit family friends who live there for the weekend.

Thanksgiving lunch was very nice. My family and I shared the the things we were thankful for and discussed the final days of my stay in Chile. Very emotional, but a great holiday considering that no country outside of the United States celebrates Thanksgiving, obviously, and the day exceeded my expectations.

After lunch, I headed off the the airport. While waiting in line to check in, I noticed a familiar person in line, but wasn't sure of his identity until a airport worker came up to him asking for an autograph for his kids. Then my thoughts were confirmed that it was the Argentinian futbol player, Lucas Barrios (first photo below), striker for the Chilean club futbol team Colo-Colo. He was traveling to Buenos Aires for the weekend with a fellow player, Daud Gazela(second photo below), and after he finished checking in, I went up and asked them both for autographs. Not having any paper available, I had them sign my passport on the day that I arrived to Chile. It felt a bit strange since Colo-Colo is the rival club to my team, University of Chile, but Lucas Barrios can probably be considered the best player in the Chilean league and has recently been offered multimillion dollar contracts by various
European club teams. Not sure if he will leave.


After chatting with the futbol players, I checked into my flight, only to realize that my Visa had expired a week before. After 15 minutes of complete panic thinking that I was not going to be able to leave, I realized that all I needed to do was show them my Chilean identification card and I was on my way. The flight was less than 45 minutes long.

I arrived in Mendoza and met up with Carlos Rodriguez, who went to engineering school with my grandfather in the city of La Plata in Argentina. We sat down for a cup of coffee in the airport to introduce ourselves, share our stories, and then left for his house where I met his wife Teresa. Carlos was once the Minister of Economy as well as the Minister of the 'Hacienda,' for Argentina during the presidency of Carlos Menem, while Teresa was a doctor for many years with a specialization in blood and related diseases, and later was a social worker for the youth. They are such wonderful people, intelligent, very hospitable, and showed me a great time in Mendoza. That night we went out to dinner at a restaurant in which they knew the owners and had eaten there before with my grandparents years earlier.

My entire weekend was completely programmed. Carlos set me up with excursions to various parts of Mendoza and it's exterior. He had initially planned to join me on the trips, but he suffered an accident on a construction site a week before I arrived, breaking a couple ribs and lacerating his hand. Nevertheless, we had a great time.

The first excursion was to nearby vineyards and bodegas, as well as a olive oil producing farm. Mendoza is primarily known for its wine since about 90% of the wine produced in Argentina comes out of Mendoza. The temperature, climate, and available land for cultivation make it a perfect environment. I returned to the house for dinner and went to bed early since the following morning my excursion left at 7:30 a.m. Below La Bodega Baurdon, one that we visited.

Excursion #2 took a group of people to the northern part of Mendoza along the International highway that connects Chile with Argentina. Our stops consisted of the original bridge that San Martin used crossing the cordillera to Chile to aide in the Chilean independence with Bernanrdo O'Higgins(Puente Picheuta),

the town of Penitentes which is were I went skiing earlier in the year with my buddy Finn but this time there was no snow,

the Bridge of the Inca which is a natural bridge formed from water erosion of a nearby river with leftover sediment from retreated glaciers, and iron found in spring water. A Spa Hotel was created in 1925 for famous individuals that provided each room with a natural bath from the river, which apparently contained many cleansing and anti-stress elements. Following an avalanche in 1965, the entire community was destroyed except for a small chapel.

The last stop we made was the entrance to the Park of the Aconcagua mountain. We couldn't enter the park because you need to buy a permit, but the view was spectacular. After traveling all the way to the border, our excursion turned around and headed back to Mendoza.

Excursion #3: San Rafael. This city is about 3 hour south of Mendoza, and is considered the 3rd most important city in Argentina after Buenos Aires and Mendoza. It is famous for it's Canyon, Atuel, which is the Argentinian version of the Grand Canyon essentially. There is a river that flows in between, as well as a road that allows you to drive all the way up to Lake Nihuil. The river has a series of hydroelectric dams that are used to supply a significant amount of energy to Argentina's citizens. The excursion took the entire day, from 7 in the morning until about 10 in the evening.





On my final day in Mendoza, I traveled with Teresa to take a tour of downtown Mendoza and visit the Fundational Museum, which unfortunately was closed due to construction. It's plaza is gorgeous, and beneath there is a series of tunnels that explore the archeological discoveries from the time of the foundation of the city.

We returned to have lunch at the house, and then afterward Carlos and I took a tour of the Park of San Martin, absolutely amazing.

The park is much larger than Central Park in New York, or even Palermo Park in Buenos Aires. There is an artificial lake, dozens of giants lawns, restaurants, a Rotary club, sporting facilities, an amphitheater that holds an annual festival that 100,000 people attend as well as some concerts, one of the World Cup stadiums that was used in 1978 (the year which Argentina won. Carlos helped in the construction of the stadium from 1975-1978), and el Cerro de La Gloria which has an amazing statue dedicated to South American liberator San Martin and his Andean army.



After completing a driving tour of the entire park, it was time for me to catch my flight. I bid farewell to Teresa and Carlos for their warmth and hospitality. They made my short stay in Mendoza amazing. I was so happy to meet and spend time with them. I even met one of their daughters and her family, who were incredibly nice and whose kids loved to ask me questions about the life in the United States and my stay down here in Latin America. They also at times could not understand me because they said I spoke like a Chilean. What a compliment...I guess.

Only a week remains for me in Santiago essentially, and I can't wait to visit Patagonia. My next entry should be around the 19th/20th of December after I get back from the south. Ciao.

1 comment:

South America Travel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.